Saturday, September 27, 2008

September 27, 2008 – Minuteman Campground, Ayer, MA

Larry here: I thought I would start out this entry and take credit for a relaxing down day. We had decided to leave a day early for Acadia Nat’l Park in Maine (our next stop). But, while getting ready to go, I stood up a little too soon and met the 5th wheel hitch up close. Now I have 14 staples closing a 3 inch cut in the top of my scalp (but I feel fine, not even a head ache). And, although needing stitches or staples, I kept pressure on it from the start and it had stopped bleeding and just needed help to stay closed, per the doctor. By the time we got back from the hospital, it would have been a rush to make it to Acadia by tonight and require our not stopping if we saw something that intrigued us. I really am trying real hard to not rush anymore, so taking Karen’s advice we will stay here the last night we had already reserved. It is raining again, but hopefully it will pass and we will leave tomorrow morning (rain or shine). I will leave it with this and let Karen add her thoughts.

Karen’s turn: We had talked last night and decided to move on to Maine even though we were paid up through tomorrow. It was supposed to rain all Saturday after a rainy Friday, so we thought we might as well be traveling since it wasn’t going to be a good day to get out and do anything. The rain had slacked off last night to just a drizzle about the time we went to bed and was about the same this morning, so Larry went out to do his part of the preparation of hooking up. I was working on getting the inside things ready to go when he comes to the door and says he need paper towels, and fast! I grabbed some paper towels, thinking he must have gotten something on his skin or clothes. There he stood with his hand on his head. He slapped the paper towels on the top of his head and said he needed to get stitches. I grabbed my jacket and purse and started for the truck. He wanted to drive! I insisted I would do the driving this time – I’ve never driven his truck and he wasn’t crazy about relinquishing it over to me. I stopped at the office to ask where the nearest ER or medical clinic was. They gave me a map and showed me one of each. The hospital was nearer, but we decided ER’s are usually rather slow, so we would go for the clinic which was the opposite direction. That was a mistake. We never did find the clinic. I finally stopped and asked some people coming out of a restaurant and they directed me to a hospital about two miles from there. After nearly an hour of sitting in the waiting room, they took him in and put in the 14 staples. He insisted on driving back and wanted to still leave for Maine. I thought we should just stay put and take it easy for the rest of the day. For a change, I won out. We’ve been lounging around the camper all day. We’ve been taking turns reading, watching TV and playing on the computer. He says it doesn’t hurt, not even a headache. I guess that is just proof how hard headed he is!

No comments: