Monday, October 6, 2008

October 6, 2008 – Shipshewana Campground South, Shipshewana, Indiana

We left Milan, Ohio this morning after a long and noisy night. The campground itself was nice enough, but it was noisy. We were near a seed company which had blowers going all night, plus we were near a busy railroad. Larry says it sometimes pays to be hard of hearing.

We arrived in this quaint and lovely area in the early afternoon. We are in the heart of Indiana’s Amish country. Larry insists I tell you this: On the way here this morning, he asked me what my favorite part of the trip had been. Since we left home 18 days ago, we’ve traveled over 3900 miles. I couldn’t say what my favorite part had been so far. I had enjoyed seeing all the areas, the wooded mountains through Pennsylvania and New York, the tour of historic Boston, the Cape Cod and Plymouth Rock areas, the coastline along Acadia National Park in Maine, majestic Niagara Falls, and the autumn colors in New Hampshire and Vermont. But I couldn’t say what my favorite had been; I couldn’t at least until today. Now I can pick a favorite, this area, a mere 390 miles from home, is my favorite of this trip. This area with clean and neat yards surrounding simple farmhouses and the town of Shipshewana with the quaint shops and restaurants is so lovely. We’ve spent the afternoon wondering through the shops and visiting with the friendly people. Tomorrow (Tuesday and Wednesday) they have a flea market with about 1,000 vendors.

We have to get going early tomorrow, as we are to have the camper in to the factory repair service at 8:00. Larry has still been hand cranking in the slide every day. Hopefully tomorrow will be the last.

No comments: