Thursday, July 19, 2012

July 19, 2012 – Home, Troy, IL

Larry:

My bucket list trip is complete. We are home exactly 8 weeks after leaving on this adventure.

Some of the numbers (you got to have numbers).

Total time: 8 weeks (56 days) Left 25 May 2012, Returned 19 July
Total Miles: 11332
Towing Miles: 9858 Miles 87% of total milage
Gallons of Diesel: 1065
Avg MPG for Trip:10.64 MPG
Price/Gal: $3.49 to $7.56 (Avg in Canada was $4.50 with the $7.56 as the robbery out in the middle on no where)
Avg Cost For Night Camping: $36 Almost all had full hook-ups, cable TV, & Wi-Fi
Max Cost For Night Camping: $53 at Glacier St. Mary KOA
Canada (3 Provinces): Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon Territory
USA (13 States): IL, MO, IA, MN, ND, MT, AK, WA, OR, ID, UT, WY, NE
Crossed from US to Canada or Canada to US: 8 times
Low Temp: 39 degrees Destruction Bay, YT
High Temp: 100 degrees Nebraska City, NE
Damage from roads: Dirty Truck, Dirty 5th Wheel, Replaced 2 leaking valve stems
Wildlife: Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Brown Bear, Moose, Elk, Caribou, Fox, Wolf, Humpback Whale, Orca, Harbor Seal, Sea Lion, Dolphin, Bald Eagle, Ravens, Bighorn sheep, Dall Sheep, white tail deer, mule deer, lynx, porcupine, plus many small ones I cannot remember.


Karen: This was a trip Larry had talked about taking for the last 5 or 6 years. I went along with his plans because I knew this was something we would regret not doing if we had put it off. I was afraid if we waited a few more years, either of us could have health issues and it would be too late. It was not as glamorous or luxurious as something like a cruise, but I’m not a glamorous or luxurious kind of person. The scenery was beautiful, gorgeous and amazing. It was at times dusty (it’s surprising how much dirt and grit sticks in Harry’s coat), more often it was wet, muddy and cold. But I’m glad we did it. One of the more beautiful campgrounds we stayed at was situated in a lovely basin between the mountains with a lake down a narrow trail. As I walked the dogs there that evening, the hymn, “How Great Thou Art” came to mind:

“When through the woods and forest glades I wander
and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,
and hear the brook, and feel the gentle breeze.”


We did see God’s handiwork in the woods, the mountains, the rushing streams, on the plains and in the oceans. I am thankful for having the privilege to see all that. I am thankful for His protection throughout this trip. And most assuredly I can proclaim, “My God, how great thou art!”

No comments: