Thursday, June 28, 2012

June 28, 2012 - Kenny Lake Mercantile & RV Park, Kenny Lake, AK

We took a drive to Valdez today. It was a beautiful sunny day, about 50 degrees when we left. It warmed up to about 65 this afternoon. I report this because we had an e-mail from Kathy this afternoon saying it was 107 degrees at home. I know – I have a cruel streak.

The drive was beautiful. The mountains down there are still really snow covered. One curve must have had 12 to 15 feet of snow still at the side of the road where they had cut out for the road. One rest stop still had snow covering the handicap ramp. Valdez had approximately 400 inches of snow during the 2011-12 winter. There were still 3 piles near the downtown area where they had piled it when cleaning the streets. One pile was still probably 20 feet high. The rivers are all really high and running fast. I guess we’re just a little early for the salmon to be running.
Snow along road at the top of the pass.
Harry on the snow at the rest area for a glacier.
Snow in the center of Valdez

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just found your blog and read through it all. I'm enjoying seeing Alaska through your eyes. We are heading up that way at the end of July.
How are the Mosquitos? That is one part I dread.
Thanks for sharing. :)